Saturday, July 7, 2012

Disney Decades: The 1960s

One Hundred and One Dalmatians

If the 1950s weren't very productive for the Disney animation studio, than the 1960s were even less so, with only three major animated features. It did, however, see the rise of a new kind of animation called Xerox photography or Xerography, which proved to be invaluable to the production of their first 1960s animated feature, 101 Dalmatians, proving to be quite a time-saver when it came to animating all of those spots.

It is little known that this film is actually based on a book, 'The Hundred and One Dalmatians' by Dodie Smith (fun fact of the day: in the original book, Cruella De Vil is married). In fact, Disney's adaptation is pretty faithful to its source. I like the fact that the film not only manages to create memorable animal characters, but their human counterparts are equally as memorable. Of course, the film will always be known best for its delightful cast of puppies and other farmland animals who aid them in their escape from the dog-nappers.

The film is also well known for said dog-nappers, the diabolical Cruella De Vil and her bumbling henchmen, Jasper and Horace (another fun fact: Horace's name in the book was Saul). Cruella, who is thin to the point of skeletal and waltzes around in furs 5 times her size, is a far more threatening (and crazed) figure than she was in the book and made even more so to me as a youngster, especially since she is threatening to skin puppies, although her interaction with her henchman is played more for laughs. The final moments of the film, as she becomes more unhinged and her obsession gives way to pure insanity, are highlights of tension-building film-making. And of course, the song devoted to her is a Disney classic, although now that I think about it, it does seem rather rude of Roger to be singing such a song with Cruella in the house.



In the end, 101 Dalmatians is a solid film with good animation, great characters, and is well worth remembering as a Disney classic.

Favorite line: Cruella on her one true passion - "My only true love, darling. I live for furs. I worship furs! After all, is there a woman in all this wretched world who doesn't?"

The Sword in the Stone

Here was another film that I watched a lot when I was young, in part because I was always fascinated by fantasy stories in general and the King Arthur legend in particular. Based rather faithfully on T.H. White's novel of the same name (part of his series on Arthur called 'The Once and Future King'), this film is a quite entertaining take on the early days of Arthur, when as a boy he was known as Wart, and his training with the wizard Merlin.

It is focused solely on Arthur's childhood and thus is far less solemn than any other works on King Arthur. Even Merlin is a much more comic figure and far more jovial than a typical 'Merlin-figure'. He is wise, but good-natured and the fact that he is juxtaposed against his perpetually grumpy owl Archimedes makes him even funnier.

In fact, all of the characters in Sword in the Stone, down to those who have no lines and appear briefly, are all likely to stay in the memories of the viewer. From the long-suffering wolf who has Wart on his menu to the flirtatious squirrels who won't leave Wart and Merlin (in squirrel-form) alone to the spirited Madame Mim, whose wizard duel with Merlin is a mini madcap movie of its own (Fun fact: Madame Mim can be found in the original publication of the novel, but not in the novel when it was later published as one with 'Once and Future King').



Ultimately, The Sword in the Stone doesn't really do justice to the part that really deals with King Arthur, leaving that part of the story, with the pulling of the sword, reduced to the final minutes of the film, but it is a very entertaining movie and one of Disney's most lighthearted features.

Favorite line: Merlin asks a rhetorical question - "You call washing dishes and sweeping floors a work of evil?"

The Jungle Book

I am a very big fan of Rudyard Kipling's 'Jungle Books'. I think they are essential reading for children and for most adults as well. They are full of mystery, excitement, talking animals, interesting characters, indeed, everything that makes a good fantastical story. However, Disney's adaptation has little to do with Kipling. In fact, I would say that, apart from names and minor plot points, it has nothing to do with Kipling.

However, this does not make it a bad film. The Jungle Book is much beloved by many and is remembered as the last film with Walt Disney's personal touch before he passed away. It also has a special place in my history as the first film I ever saw (albeit incompletely: I was so terrified of the music during the opening credits, I had to be taken out of the theater. Hey... I was only baby!).

Overall, it is a harmless little picture, telling the story of Mowgli and how he meets many jungle animals on his journey to the man-village where he will be safe from the nefarious tiger Shere Khan. It is in the characterizations of these that the film excels. Bagheera is the stern panther with a subtle sense of humor, while Baloo is the fun-loving bear, and King Louie is the musical orangutan with ulterior motives. These zany characters aren't the only ones to leave an impression. Kaa, the dithering python, is hilariously evil, and Shere Khan, given intimidating presence through the voice of George Sanders, is a formidable foe (the scene he shares with Kaa is brilliant).



The Jungle Book is also remembered for its songs, especially Baloo's ode to doing nothing, 'The Bare Necessities', and Louie's jazzy number, 'I Wanna Be Like You'. These songs, among others, combined with the overall cheerful atmosphere, make this pretty good little film, although it will never be remembered for its adherence to Kipling's story, that's for sure.

Favorite line:
Baloo - (on Mowgli) "He's with me, ain't he? And I'll learn him all I know."
Bagheera - "Oh? That shouldn't take too long."

No comments:

Post a Comment